E28. Identify the sentence that correctly uses a comma splice: University Of Sindh mcqs test

Codes
0

                            

EXPLANATION

E28. Identify the sentence that correctly uses a comma splice:

a) I went to the store, I bought some groceries.

b) I went to the store and bought some groceries.

c) I went to the store; I bought some groceries.

d) I went to the store: I bought some groceries.


ANSWER: b) I went to the store and bought some groceries.

EXPLANATION:


The sentence that correctly uses a comma splice is b) I went to the store and bought some groceries.


A comma splice is a grammatical error that occurs when two independent clauses are joined with a comma only. An independent clause is a complete sentence that can stand on its own. In the sentence "I went to the store and bought some groceries", both clauses are independent clauses. The comma is not strong enough to join two independent clauses, so it creates a comma splice.


The other sentences do not use a comma splice. Sentence a) is a run-on sentence, because it joins two independent clauses with no punctuation. Sentence c) uses a semicolon to join two independent clauses. A semicolon is stronger than a comma, so it can be used to join two independent clauses. Sentence d) uses a colon to introduce a list. A colon is not used to join two independent clauses.


Here are some ways to correct the comma splice in sentence b):


Use a period to create two separate sentences: "I went to the store. I bought some groceries."

Use a coordinating conjunction (and, but, or, nor, for, so, yet) to join the two clauses: "I went to the store, and I bought some groceries."

Use a semicolon to join the two clauses: "I went to the store; I bought some groceries."

Post a Comment

0Comments

Post a Comment (0)