E2. Identify the correct sentence that uses the subjunctive mood: University Of Sindh mcqs test

Codes
0

  

EXPLANATION


E2. Identify the correct sentence that uses the subjunctive mood:

a) If I was rich, I would buy a mansion.

b) If I were rich, I would buy a mansion.

c) If I am rich, I would buy a mansion.

d) If I have been rich, I would buy a mansion.


ANSWER: bIf I were rich, I would buy a mansion.

EXPLANATION:

The correct sentence that uses the subjunctive mood is:


b) If I were rich, I would buy a mansion.


In this sentence, the verb "were" is in the subjunctive form. The subjunctive mood is used to express hypothetical or contrary-to-fact situations. In this case, the speaker is imagining a situation where they are not currently rich but expressing what they would do if they were. The use of "were" instead of "was" indicates the hypothetical nature of the statement.


Option a, "If I was rich, I would buy a mansion," uses the past simple tense instead of the subjunctive mood and is less grammatically correct. Option c, "If I am rich, I would buy a mansion," uses the indicative mood instead of the subjunctive mood and suggests a real or possible situation. Option d, "If I have been rich, I would buy a mansion," uses a past perfect tense instead of the subjunctive mood and is not the correct form for expressing a hypothetical or contrary-to-fact condition.


Post a Comment

0Comments

Post a Comment (0)